The Joy of Coding
About this course
The Joy of Coding is an online course specially created for anyone who wants to experience first-hand the power, and thrill, of coding computers to do amazing stuff. Created with high school students in mind, it is a great way for anyone to step into the wondrous world of coding. No prior coding experience is required!
Using Python, course students will learn how coding powers apps such as Snapchat, TikTok, Instagram and Siri, and even learn how to code their own versions of Snapchat lenses.
The course includes weekly video lectures, reading, and coding assignments.
- Learn to code at their own pace w/ support from Michigan ECE faculty & students
- Receive a certificate of accomplishment to include in college apps
- Have our commitment to help you get unstuck when learning to code
- High school algebra
- Knowledge of function notation (for example, what does y = f(x) = cos(x), or, z = g(x,y) = cos(x) + sin(y) mean?)
- Desire to learn and willingness to reach out for help when stuck (because everyone gets stuck somewhere!)
- 4 – 6 hours per week to commit to the course
The course will run from July 5, 2021 – August 13, 2021
- Application deadline: March 15, 2021 (for priority consideration)
- Important Dates:
- Acceptance Decisions: May 1, 2021
- Submit coding module: May 15, 2021
- Confirm Participation/Payment Due Date: May 18, 2021
Rajesh Rao Nadakuditi
Prof. Nadakuditi is an award-winning researcher and teacher dedicated to making computational subjects accessible to individuals of all ages and from all disciplines.
In addition to receiving the Jon R. and Beverly S. Holt Award for Excellence in Teaching, Prof. Nadakuditi has received the DARPA Directors Award, DARPA Young Faculty Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society Best Young Author Paper Award, Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, and the Air Force Research Laboratory Young Faculty Award.